Super Visa or Visitor’s Visa – How to Decide

When planning for your parents or grandparents to visit you in Canada, deciding to apply for a regular visitor visa or a Super Visa can be confusing. In this post, we break down the differences between the two options, and explain how to make the right choice for your family.

Visitor visa or super visa to Canada

When deciding to apply for your parents or grandparents to visit Canada, it can be confusing as to what type of application to make. There are essentially 3 types of visitor’s visa that we need to consider when deciding which type of visa application makes the most sense.

Super Visa

  • Allows travel to and from Canada for a max period of 10 years
  • Allows holders to remain inside Canada for up to 2 years before they need to leave or apply for an extension
  • Applicant must be invited by a Canadian citizen or Permanent Residence who is a child or grandchild and who meets income requirements

Single entry TRV

  • Allows travel to and from Canada one time only
  • Allows holders to remain inside Canada for up to 6 months before they need to leave or apply for an extension
  • Applicant can be invited by anyone

Multiple entry TRV

  • Allows travel to and from Canada for a maximum period of 10 years
  • Allows holders to remain inside Canada for up to 6 months before they need to leave or apply for an extension
  • Applicant can be invited by anyone

When considering whether or not you should apply for a Super Visa or a regular visitor’s visa (TRV) for your parents or grandparents, first think about how long they are going to stay inside Canada when they come to visit. If they are planning to stay for less than 6 months, then a regular TRV is going to make the most sense for your situation. Keep in mind that a regular TRV (multiple entry) will still be issued for a max of 10 years or to the passport expiry, so your parents or grandparents can apply once for the visa and then use it for many different trips to Canada. It doesn’t make any sense to go through the extra hassle or expense for a Super Visa if your loved ones are only coming for a short visit.

If your parents or grandparents would like to stay for longer than 6 months when they travel to Canada, then you need to confirm that you meet the income requirements for the Super Visa application. If you don’t meet the income requirements, you can still apply for a regular TRV and then plan to ask for an extension of stay once your parents or grandparents arrive to Canada, before their 6 month entry expires. In this type of scenario, you are going to need to make a new extension application every six months, or have your parents or grandparents go home for a period of time and then return again. Remember, as long as they have a multiple entry TRV, they can use the visa to travel to Canada as many times as they like until it expires.

The Way Immigration has successfully assisted hundreds of parents and grandparents to visit their family members in Canada. We would be pleased to help you determine your best options to have your parents or grandparents visit you in Canada.



Fran Wipf is an expert in Canadian immigration matters. She was licensed as an immigration consultant in 2008, and since that time, she has assisted thousands of individuals, families and businesses to find Canadian immigration success. You can learn more about Fran, and the services she offers, at


Discover more articles and tips like this

Would you like to see something specific?

All Immigration Tips
Self Employed work experience

Self-employed work experience for immigration

A working holiday visa in Canada is completely open, which gives you a lot of freedom in terms of when, where and what kind of work to do. But like anything in life, just because something is possible, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good idea! There is a lot to consider before deciding that self-employment is the best option for your time spent working in Canada. Read on to ensure that you understand the immigration limitations of working as self-employed using your working holiday permit.

What is implied status in Canada?

Implied status is one of the concepts that cause the greatest confusion and the most problems for working holiday visa holders. Nothing messes up future plans quite as nicely as an incorrect understanding of implied status, and there seems to be plenty of misunderstanding among the do-it- yourself immigration crowd.
Canadian Family

Top Tips for Super Visa Applications

One of the most difficult things about immigrating to another country is the separation from friends and family in your home country. It’s exciting to think about having your parents or grandparents join you in Canada for an extended period of time, and a properly prepared Super Visa application can make that possible. In this article, we provide our best tips to help you maximize the benefit that your family will obtain from the Super Visa process.
Travel without a valid PR card in Canada

How to Travel Without a Valid PR Card

Once you become a Permanent Resident of Canada, you will need a valid PR card in order to board a commercial airline, train or bus that is travelling to Canada. However, sometimes life happens, and you find that you need to travel outside of Canada even though you don’t have a valid PR card in order to return. There are a couple of ways that you can make this work if you are willing to try some unconventional approaches to taking your trip. This post explores your options to return to Canada, even without a valid PR card.
Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap